Must-Visit Place Before You Die: Plitvice Lakes National Park

By -

Talk about a beautiful places and the Plitvice Lakes National Park is the perfect place to start. The Plitvice Lakes National Park  is the oldest national park in Southeast Europe and is the largest in Croatia. Founded in 1949, the park lies in Krast, the mountainous area of central Croatia. The lakes are being protected and the protected area extends to around 296.85 square kilometres (73,350 acres). 90% of this area is part of Lika-Srnj County, and the other 10% belongs to Karlovac County. Plitvice Lakes National Park was added to the UNESCO World Heritage site in 1979 and ever since has been under strict supervision. Over 1.2 million tourists make their way to the area every year. Entry in the peak season into the park will cost you as much as $18.

There are around 16 lakes that can be seen on the surface and they vary in colour ranging from azure to green, grey or blue. The colours keep on changing depending upon the minerals present and the angle of sunlight. This is definitely a place to visit before you depart.

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Lakes National Park