It has been many years since this toothpick puzzle has been floating around the internet, but just like all other things that get viral, it has recently cycled back into popularity. The goal appears to be very simple: take these four squares and make them into three squares with just three moves.
Following are some other conditions for moving these 12 toothpicks:
1. One move qualifies as moving a toothpick in any way.
2. The toothpicks have to remain touching in order for a square to be considered “closed.”
3. You can’t break the toothpicks.
4. Each toothpick has to be a part of a square.
5. All three squares have to be the same size.
Try it out and check out the solution below: